About Us

     The Tully Area Historical Society was started in 1977 by a group of Tully, NY citizens who wished to preserve Tully history and the two former church buildings located on State Street. The South Church Building built in 1825 in Tully Center was moved to its present location in 1847. The North Church, formerly the Methodist Church was built in 1896. The congregations had outgrown both of these buildings; parking had become a major issue, and an analysis of the buildings pointed out the need for new heating units, new roofs, and a considerable amount of repair. The two churches decided to merge, and a new church was built on Meetinghouse Road -- now known as the Tully United Community Church.

     From its formation in 1977, the Society grew, starting with the Country Peddler (a Consignment/Thrift shop) setup in the Methodist Church next door. Events were organized: fashion shows, a circus, the annual Community Fair, Ice Harvest Festival, Ice Cream Social and Christmas at the Station.

     On a yearly basis, a military display is held every year in May through July featuring pictures and memorabilia of veterans from the area who served their country. The Ice Harvest Festival, demonstrating ice cutting with the antique tool collection held by the Society is held every February. This event now is held in conjunction with the Central New York Draft Horse Association, who bring the draft horses to pull bobs of ice from the Green Lake to the ice house for storage. Ice is then used to make ice cream in May for the "Ice Cream Social". The "Tully Community Fair" is held the first Saturday after Labor Day and "Christmas at the Station" is held after Thanksgiving in the renovated Tully Train Depot.

     In 2009, the society worked with the Masons to bring the first big top circus to Tully. Needless to say it was one of the big hits of the year and everyone is still talking about it.

     The society also works with other service clubs in the area to bring things to Tully and the surrounding area. Every two years a small local telephone directory for residents of LaFayette, Fabius and Tully is published. This directory is considered the phone book of choice by those in the area as it features large print for easy reading, and is supported by local advertisers. The book is mailed to the community free of charge.

     After having received four provisional charters, in June of 1999, the State Regents Board awarded a permanent charter, indicating their approval of the work done to provide research materials, historical displays, and community services.

     The Country Peddler (located at 22 State Street) is one of the most well known consignment/thrift shops in Central New York and enjoys customers from a wide area around Tully. The Twice Read Book Store (located at 24 State Street) is also visited by book lovers throughout all of Central NY.

Photos of our society's areas of interest in the old renovated Baptist Church:

  • Twice Read Bookstore (1)
  • Twice Read Bookstore (2)
  • Museum (1)
  • Museum (2)
  • Museum (3)
  • Museum (4)
  • Work Area
  • Lena Hoag Library (1)
  • Lena Hoag Library (2)
  • Church Sanctuary (1)
  • Church Sanctuary (2)
  • Stevens Organ, purchased in 1924
  • Cornelia Winslow King stained glass window in sanctuary
jquery slider by WOWSlider.com v8.7