Tully Train Depot

Tully Train Depot, 1910
Train Depot, 1910
Tully Train Depot, 2016
Train Depot, 2016
     The Tully Train Depot was built in 1905 and served the community for passengers and freight until the railroad discontinued service in 1965. The building was used for storage and other things over the years until the Town of Tully secured a grant to purchase and preserve the building about five years ago. (To see the DL&W Railroad train route in NYS click here.)

     The first renovation work was done by the town, repairing the roof and replacing the floor in the former passenger area. For the next three years, the historical society held "Christmas @ the Station" each year the weekend following Thanksgiving. It was a continuation of the "Christmas @ the Station" previously held by Eve Carlton and Sonja Shepard for over eight years. It had been missed by many and the historical society had received many calls inquiring if it would be held again. Once we scheduled it, there's been an increasing number of central New Yorkers attending every year.

     There still was a lot to be done to renovate the building. Early in 2008, a former Tully resident whose contracting background was invaluable approached us volunteering his services for the renovation if materials were supplied. The offer was immediately accepted and the project was off and running.

     The cypress wood paneling in the passenger area had rotted because of a leaking roof and had to be torn out and replaced. Not only did we have the labor (supplied by David Kinne) but businesses such as Kennedy Hardwood and Tully Building Materials stepped forward with discounted prices for the needed materials. Residents and others offered generous dollars to support the project.

     In June of 2008, we held an open house to show the public our progress. The former passenger area is beautiful!

     During the summer of 2012, the freight area was cleaned out, the wood flooring which had become rotted in spots was removed and a concrete floor was poured. Three rooms were added to the area -- a utility closet, an approved handicapped bathroom, and a "Food Prep " area. While this last area is not a health department approved kitchen, it can be used by those people catering their own parties, or by caterers who come in to serve food. A new refrigerator and two in-the-wall ovens are now available for use. Plenty of electrical outlets have been installed for coffee pots, crockpots, etc.

     During 2013, a special spray-on insulation and fireproof paint were applied to the rafters and ceiling in the freight area. This insulation with the addition of the two stoves made it possible to hold "Christmas @ the Station" in both the front and back of the depot in November of 2013.

     The public has been invited to use this facility for gatherings. The station has been booked for various events on a regular basis this past year so it would be wise to check well ahead of any event you'd like to book.


Reservation Information:

     Pricing: $60 for front area, $120 for entire depot
     The stoves cannot be used for cooking or baking but can be used for warming-up previously prepared food up.
     Capacity:
          Front area: 115 people w/chairs or 54 people w/chairs & tables
          Back area: 150 people w/chairs or 77 people w/chairs & tables
     Call 315-696-4681 or email us at admin@tullyhistoricalsociety.org: for availability, reservations or any other questions you might have.
     The depot key is available for those who want to look at it before reserving.


Pause slideshow by hovering mouse over image.

  • Front area, looking into ticket office food prep area
  • Front Area
  • Back Area
  • Kitchen in back area
  • Kitchen in old ticket office.
  • Capacity codes for front and back rooms